Comcast DNS/POP performance question

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:29:14AM -0400, Thomas Lopolito wrote:
> I've called and asked for their Primary and Secondary DNS server IP
> addresses as well as the gateway IP and they refused to give them to me.
> They gave me Windows instructions but when I informed them I was using
> linux, I was told I'm on my own. I tried to explain that was fine with
> me; just tell me the addresses, but they couldn't get past the Windows
> issue. I think the answer is that they really don't know and I'm not
> sure how far up the food chain you have to go to get the info. I stopped
> trying after the second supervisor.

Try issuing a DHCP request with a client set to maximally verbose debug
mode. That should tell you or log for you exactly what options they are
setting for you.

The point of assigning these via DHCP is that they can add new ones and
change them reasonably dynamically, without telling any group of people
"well, please change your settings".

-dsr-

--
Network engineer / pre-sales engineer available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr