Comcast Motorola cable modem

Robert La Ferla wrote:
> Comcast is now "upgrading" everyone's modems for free with a Motorola
> one.  Has anyone received theirs yet?  Any issues with it?  How is
> performance?

I wonder if they are the same Motorola modems that are currently "free
after rebate" as a retail purchase? If so, it means that new customers
won't have to pay for theirs, either - nice if you're planning to sign up.

Still, I wonder why the switch? If anyone is still using
pre-DOCSIS-standard modems, they might need to get rid of those, but why
would you need to switch newer ones? And why mandate one specific model?
(Can you tell that I'm paranoid about the intentions of cable companies?)