best new video cards for linux?

hello gentlemen, i hope this makes it to the blu
dicussion list with all the other talk about what's
the right (ha!) way to do things, anyhow..

i am using redhat 8.0 (duel boot) with a crucial ati
8500le 128mb.  no installation problems.  card cost
under $100.  most graphics seem fine, but under
transgamings winex point2play, there's a systems test
section for 3d acceleration, and it says my video card
stinks.  (opengl direct rendering support?) though
it's still way better than what my computer came with.
 (funny how it's blazingly fast under M$XP playing
battlefield 1942 and the like).  i tried downloading
linux specific drivers a month ago from the ati site,
which only crashed x.  i had to reconfigure x to
redhats default to get working again.  maybe i'm
wrong, but it seems that my penguin isn't taking full
advantage of the ati card.  every linux game site i've
seen suggests the use of nvidia.  gamers know
graphics.  if i could go back, i'd get a different
card.  hope my comments are of some use.

i always learn something from the monthly meetings,
can't wait 'til next week.
eric chadbourne.