Spam control again

Derek Martin wrote:
> I am 100% convinced that no global spam solution can work, and that it
> should and in fact must be left up to the individual user to solve
> their own spam problem.  I think it may even be mathematically provable,
> and if I get bored enough, I might just try.

It's always possible to "prove" that the status quo is the only viable way for
things to be.

Back in 1987-88, my elders made essentially the same statements about a cause
near and dear to me (gay civil rights).  In 1989 I plunged into activism,
skeptical of those elders.  Through simple revenge-of-the-nerds
database-building, the group that I helped to found achieved its goal less
than 11 months after it started (following 17 years of can't-be-done rhetoric
like most of this thread here).  That particular movement stalled for years
after that but obviously has made some gains this year.

When it comes to political will, mankind is capable of achieving
anything--regardless of whether it's "proven" impossible.

This is my view on spam, and it's irreconcileable with the critics here.
Mankind is able and will eventually conquer the spam problem, to at least a
much more tolerable level than in the past.  There is too much money and too
much labor at stake; it's an exponentially-increasing problem and I think
those who are skeptical about solutions to it will be proven flat wrong,
sooner than most people believe.

The debate here should focus on ways that Linux technical folks can (a)
develop tactical strategies in software, and (b) influence legislators and/or
ISPs to implement them.

I'm getting tired of reading can't-be-done rhetoric which pooh-poohs every
honest attempt at a solution.  This won't be changed with a single solution;
it will require multiple approaches by individuals, corporations, and
governments alike.

-rich