Stubborn Processes

Steven Erat <stevenerat at yahoo.com> writes:

> > --- "Kevin D. Clark" <kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com> wrote:
> > The process is probably hung waiting for something in kernel space,
> > most likely in a buggy driver.  I've seen this occur with poorly
> > written drivers for certain hardware...
>
> That could be in this case.  They are using a third party ODBC Driver to
> connect to SQLServer, and I believe the stuck threads are querying with
> that driver... I'll confirm.

Ah, but I meant "driver" in the sense of something that interacts with
hardware (generally), not a pure software driver like a ODBC driver.
It is very likely that the ODBC driver exists entirely in userspace
(please correct me if I am wrong).  If so, then this probably isn't
the source of the problem.

A couple of things to try:

1:  can you show us the output of "ps -elf | grep <the-app's-name>"

2:  if this is easily reproducable, can you run "strace" on the
    application and make available the output (you probably don't want to
    mail this to the whole list).  Sending the last 200 or so lines to
    the list might be interesting though...

> Thanks very much.  This is helpful.

You're welcome!

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)