Speaking of mail etc

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:06:01 -0400
"Ryan L. Kitchen" <rkitchen at coe.neu.edu> wrote:

>     As a noob and Lurker of BLU, I am required to ask the obvious:
> What do people who are on Blu use for their MTA and server?  I am in
> the process of setting up CYRUS IMAP and Postfix, but I am diffident.
>
> I am not exactly sure what I am doing, and that makes it all the more
> interesting. If anyone has HOWTO's for their particular flavor, boy
> I'd like a link.  I'm setting up the IMAP client so mail can can be
> accessed from my RH9 box/server and from my XP machine, the road,
> whatever, and not be spread between "n" different mail clients. I am
> even looking at setting up Squirrelmail for truly remote mail
> checking when I don't have a client available.  I would like to use
> GPG/PGP, I would like to use SSL or some other form of authentication
> for SMTP etc.
>
> I'm going slow, but i'm looking for pointers to at least avoid the
> big blunders. what are other people out there using?
I think you'll get into a religious discussion. Postfix is an excellent
MTA, but I prefer sendmail for two reasons:
1. When I installed postfix a while ago, I was unable to get procmail to
run, and I use procmail to filter all my email. So, I just used
sendmail.

2. I know how to configure it to get it to do what I want.

GPG is supported my most Linux based email clients and should not prose
any problems. GPG or PGP is also suported by many Windows clients, but
may require a commercial plugin.

SSL works through sendmail and fetchmail.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group