Speaking of mail etc

Ah, so that's a closed system. I thought the question was in regards to an
enterprise solution - where there are many users that just want mail - no
shell, and not needing such complex setup for an average user while still
being secure.

Regards your comment about "anyone can access the port and try to login by
guessing a password, whereas with ssh, someone would have to first break
ssh to get in. " that seems wrong. Anyone can access SSH port and also
guess the password. How does that correspond to "break SSH" ?

If you mean that you have your IP listed in HostsAllow in sshd.conf - you
can do the same in hosts.allow (combined with hosts.deny).