dd cloning disks

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 05:34:24PM +0000, Bill Holt wrote:

> Hello everyone, I am cloning a multiboot disk to another, the size is
> 10gigs, I've been looking arround (googling) but I can't seem to find
> any documentation on how long this will take. 500mgh,128ram.

A handy thing to do is dd over netcat.  Boot both machines using knoppix
or something and get them networked.  Then you don't have to take
the machines apart.  e.g.

on recieving host
  netcat -l -p 12345 | dd of=/dev/hda
on sending host
  dd if=/dev/hda | netcat 'host' 12345

When the physical disks aren't identical, or you just want to go faster,
you can use ssh, sfdisk, mkswap, mke2fs (and friends), tar, etc. to do
this kind of thing.  I've written some (rather sloppy) scripts to do
this kind of thing if you're interested.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\