backup with rsync

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:17:41 -0400
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> I am thinking that one of these days Firewire disks will become a good
> backup medium for many uses.  Here are some of their virtues:
>
>   - fast xfer rates;
>   - "instant access"--can be mounted as, well, disk volumes;
>   - removable, hot pluggable, portable;
>   - getting tougher every year (as tape is getting more and more
>   delicate?); and- cheap (currently less than $2/GB, packaged and
>   ready to plug in).
I might tend to agree. I would personally prefer any good quality
removable device. I mentioned that I had added a 1GB Jaz device, but I
found that the Jaz was not very reliable. With firewire (or USB for that
matter) you can use a standard hard disk or a laptop HD and buy a good
enclosure for it.

Someonme (maybe it was you) who refuted me about a lightning strike
having the capability to take out an entire system, disks and all. That
is very true. One of the best ways to mitigate this is with a removable
device and a backup strategy that requires multiple removable devices
since lightning can ruin an attached firewire or USB device or tape.

The bottom line is that backup strategies can become very complicated
depending on what the scope of information you want to save is and how
safe do you want it. Tapes, disks, and other magnetic media have a
relatively short life. DVD-Rs and CD-Rs have a much longer life. I
personally prefer the -R media as it tends to be more portable.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group