helpdesk/inventory software on linux(redhat)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:51:27PM -0400, Ali Seyed wrote:
> Looking for some opensource or otherwise software that will allow users to
> submit requests and a nice add would be inventory tracking.

Everyone is recommending RT, and the reason is that it's really good.
I've used it myself at several jobs now. Highly recommended.

Now, inventory tracking. In order of sophistication, there is:

- simple flat text file, comma delimited.
- spreadsheet file
- simple flat text file with tools built in your favorite scripting
  language for insert, modify, delete (with tracking of disposal method
  and date) and reports
- the same in a real database
- a dedicated application

If you have 50 users and less than 1000 machines to keep track of, I
recommend a text file with tools. If you have significantly more than
1000 machines, get a real database -- you'll have multiple people
accessing and updating it. If you were cataloging every piece of
equipment BU owns, you might want a dedicated application, but scaling
up in the database won't be hard.

-dsr-

--
Network engineer available in the Boston area.
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr