Worm bait?

On Thursday 21 August 2003 10:09 am, John Chambers wrote:
> Well, I've seen a number of quotes from top MS people to  the  effect
> that their customers want lots of functionality but aren't interested
> in security.  So by their understanding, they  are  doing  just  what
> their  customers want.  And the fact that their customers continue to
> pay them very well for their software is proof to them  that  they're
> doing it right.
>
> The Market can't be wrong, y'know.

Absolutely right.  Most of the security problems with Windows are due to the
fact that users want Windows to just do what they want, often without having
to tell it explicitly.  When Aunt Bertha send pictures of her new pet iguana,
little Susie wants to just see the pictures, not have to add Aunt Bertha to a
whitelist and make sure that her current RBL's policies are inline with her
own.

We all talk about how secure Linux is, but Linux is ONLY secure if you put the
work into maintaining it, updating software, watching security alerts,
scanning logs...  The good news is that you CAN, and you can do it as you see
appropriate.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D                  The internet is full.  Go away.
DK KD
DDDD