Me Again

Anthony suggested that I just tell a little bit more about myself and my
experience with Linux, so here goes.

I'm a student doing Computer Science at Boston University. I've always had a
rudimentary knowledge of Unix/Linux, but recently I have started to take an
interest in the administration aspect of it, particularly relating to web
servers. I've been doing web stuff for a while now (HTML, Perl, PHP, MySQL,
all that stuff), but I figure it couldn't hurt to know how to run my own
box. Some day I'd like to actually rent my own box at a place like
Rackshack.net and serve my own web page and others web pages in a big league
kind of way with some insane bandwidth and all. I've got some ideas I'd like
to go forward with, and I think Linux will help me get there. The logical
thing to do would be to pay someone else to manage the server, or get a
dedicated server package that includes management, but you know, I just
would rather do it myself.

At this point, I've pretty much attained the goal of learning Linux for this
purpose, but only in a very basic sense. I am interested in BLU because it
gives me a chance not only to meet some people, but to get some tips from
real people with real world experience. Reading books and the manual (which
is all I've been doing up to this point) can only take you so far.

So that's what I'm all about in terms of Linux. If you guys care to help me,
or maybe even get involved in one of my zany ideas or web projects, or if
you just want to hang out, drop me a line.

Andrew
arollins at bu.edu