Help on crashed Hard Disk Recovery under LINUX

Use your Linux rescue disk to boot into Linux. Then run /sbin/lilo to
rebuild the boot sector.
/sbin/lilo -M will reset the master boot record.

If you do not have a rescue disk, you should be able to boot the Red Hat
CD and run rescue from there. Once you are in the rescue system, mount
your linux root (eg. /dev/hda5 or whatever) on /mnt, then do a chroot
/mnt.
You now can edit your /etc/lilo.conf then run /sbin/lilo with the
appropriate options.

Then exit chroot, umount /mnt and reboot.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:47:18 -0700 (PDT)
"M.V.Q. Somen" <somen_mvq at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have a deil Laptop with windows-me and
>   redhat linux installed in it.
>
>   Now the Boot sectors seem to have been corrupted
>   after a windows crash(protection error).
>
>   The PC is booting neither for windows nor linux
>   now.
>   Actually under both the OS the Laptop is booting
>   half way thru and then gets stuck.
>   Windows says protection fault but in the case
>   of Linux "boot file systems not found" error
>   is displayed.
>
>   Is there any way to reinstall Linux
>   on the existing Linux partition without
>   overwriting the personal data files stored
>   in the root file systems ?
>
>   If so how to do it and what options to choose
>   during Linux installation ?
>
>   Also if I want to create a Linux bootable
>   floppy disk from another computer running
>   Linux, what is the command to be used to
>   make the disk bootable ?
>
>   I would greatly appreciate any suggestions
>   or help in this regard.

- --
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group