How to detect invasions?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 08:53:01PM -0400, Dave Gavin wrote:

> If you have a spare system, you might consider setting up a firewall
> system using ipcop, smoothwall or one of the other open source
> firewalls out there. A stand-alone dedicated firewall box is a lot
> easier to maintain than a workstation with some iptables rules added.

Yes and no.  It may be easier to start with, but as you find yourself
wanting to do more sophisticated things, iptables (also check
ebtables.sourceforge.net) will provide much greater functionality.

Having recently witnessed the shortcomings of Cisco PIX firewall
equipment, nevermind consumer grade firewall toys, I'd vote for a cheap
PC w/ Linux any day.

--
Ron Peterson                   -o)
87 Taylor Street               /\\