Handling mail folders

I expect my email needs to increase in the near future -- quantity
and reliability.  For the years I've been on the net most of my
correspondence has been of the nature of this email.

So I'd like to clean up my email collection[s].  I have various
mail files saved from various incarnations of a few hosts going
back to an early Compaq luggable.

Are there any good tools to consolidate mail into one set?

I'd like to forward selected mail to my primary mail address and
play more tricks with my mail filtering/sorting.
I am slightly familiar with procmail, should I be looking at
something newer?