PGP Corp.

derek, if you say pgp 8 and gnupgp 1.2.x are compatible (for particular
algorithms), i'll take your word for it.  i've read your other posts and
have learned quite alot.  the gui for pgp had several algorithms you
could choose from.  aes, cast, tripledes, idea, twofish, dh, rss, a
whole alphabet soup of confusion for me.  i cant remember for sure as
i've already removed the program and installed gnupg and windows privacy
tray (a pgp like gui that works pretty well, yes!).  i'm too much of a
noob to say they don't play together as i might not have had my end
configured correctly.

"are you sure you have Bill's key to verify his signature?"  -  do you
mean...
key as in "public key contains a composite number made from two large
prime factors"
signature like "-BEGIN PGP
SIGNATURE-...iD8DBQE/X+VbugnqrmbF6SQRAj2VAJ4/5gmSFvwUgNojNPD/6EGTnhPOZACdHK1s..."
verify is the word that seems tricky in your question, 'cause i'm just
not 100% sure.  this is what i did (don't laugh i'm a noob);  i copied
his email to notepad and clicked verify on the pgp corp gui.  the app
appeared to connect to a pgp corp server and automatically added his key
to my keyring.  it was the first time i ever did it and now i had two
keys.  mine and bill's.  or so it seems.  i think its true because it
seemed i had more information about bill that i did before (all i had
was his signature right, now i have a full name and expiration dates).
so i think i recieved his signature via email and the pgp corp app
downloaded his public key from their server.  the reason i thought that
maybe pgp and gnupg don't play together is that when i tried to have
others get my key to validate my signature they encountered
difficulties.  maybe i used some propriatary function not available to
them?  could i have chosen other algorithims to use that are available
to them from the pgp configuration screen?  i'm not sure.  i think i'll
set up one of my computers with pgp and another with gnupg and play with
them this weekend.  (my girlfriend permitting.)  it would be useful to
know how they can work together.  thanks for responding to my email, as
it has got me a little excited over learning how this stuff works.  a
new toy!  -eric.