Linux course and NEU (eg. Northeastern)

On Friday 12 September 2003 10:04 pm, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I found out tonight that the Linux on the Desktop course at NEU was
> unstaffed but had some students registered, so I signed up to teach it.
>
> I was originally set up to teach C++, but that course only had 4
> students registered and is apparently cancelled.
>
> In light of the Linux on the Desktop, I'd like to elicit some ideas on
> how to set up an 11 week syllabus. In the past, I've taught courses that
> already had some previous syllabus, but on this one, I may need to
> develop from scratch.

I disagree strongly with the answers so far.

If someone is going to set up a Linux box at home, most likely it will be
connected to the internet somehow.  And that means if they don't have a
good understanding of configuring and securing the network, they will
either be frustrated, or hacked.

So I would start with some networking basics, DNS, DHCP, PP, etc.

After the networking, I would spend a very short time on DOS and UNIX
command equivalent commands, the concepts of a multiuser system, then the
concepts of a multitasking system.

I wouldn't even start up X and the apps they really want to see until then.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "The only problem with doing it right the first time is
DK KD  that nobody appreciates how difficult it was"
DDDD                                                    - Anonymous