Linux course and NEU (eg. Northeastern)

Any "desktop Linux" demonstration would be incomplete (IMHO) without a quick
demo of WINE. Even if it just shows the students winmine.exe, and some of
the popular WINE resources on the web.

Just like the Linux desktop, WINE is "almost there"... expect some
shortcomings in the software, but also expect consistent and measured
progress over time.

Showing how to create a "Acrobat" PDF file is something many productivity
workers want (at least once they are shown the power of PDF).

Knowing this comes "built in and free" with Linux means they can share
finished documents without worrying about compatibility, although OpenOffice
seems to work well enough these days. There are GUI tools for making PDFs on
Linux... but I'm not sure which ones are "desktop easy" (I still use the
CLI). I have noticed that more and more GNOME applications have a "Print To
PDF" option in their Printer dialog which is a welcome trend...

Software upates and patching are important... Redhat's up2date for example.
I find Ximian's Red Carpet to be superior... plus you can use it to "browse"
software and add new applications to your system, among the many other
advantages to Ximian GNOME (like a file dialog that "works")

-Scott