Windows to Power ATM's in 2005

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 14:28, Timothy M. Lyons wrote:

> As to hacking ATM's being a moot point, all I can say is with patience,
> dedication, motivation, and resources, _any_ network or device can be hacked.
> It's just a matter of finding the chink in the armor.

A few creative thieves have put up kiosks in shopping malls that look
like ATMs; the machines read off the mag-strips of whatever cards are
swiped through, take the PINs, and then tell the customer "service
temporarily unavailable" or whatever.  The thieves used this information
to duplicate the cards and use them to withdraw money from real ATMs.

Some ATMs have also been broken into with brute force -- by using a
truck and a trailer hitch to pry off the front of the machine and then
take the cash inside.

With high-quality color scanners and ink-jet printers, forging cashiers'
checks is a booming and lucrative business.

Compared with all these techniques, what kind of
return-on-criminal-investment can you get by attempting to hack an ATM?

--
"[A] programming language is really a very tiny part of the world, and
as such, it ought not to be taken too seriously."  --Bjarne Stroustrup