Charter: ICMP being blocked?

"Brian J. Conway" <bconway at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> I use SNIPS (http://www.navya.com/snips/) to keep tabs on a couple
> computers of importance to me, one of which lives on Charter's
network.

I finally got my netsaint (nagios) config updated for my new home too.
Bah!

> I believe they blocked all ICMP traffic a couple months ago when doing
> network maintenance (my friends computer went through 3 IP addresses
in a
> couple days).  I haven't looked into it beyond that.

Ah, interesting. My address did finally change once a while back (maybe
the same time frame). Perhaps something in their network rebooted after
the outage with the 'new' configuration that was supposed to have taken
effect sooner.

The timing really threw me. I'd updated my system (debian apt-get
dist-upgrade) the day before, but hadn't restarted (hey, it's LINUX
after all :). I assumed it was on my end at first. What a shame their
tech support doesn't seem to be aware of the issue. I sure wasted some
time on that call.

- Bob