Sorry to bring it up again ..

Damn foreigners.

Seriously though, any idea whether the limit was actually hit this year?
I thought I read last year that the number of new H1B's coming in last
year was somewhere in the ballpark of 60 or 80k with just the fact
that few companies were hiring (H1B's or Americans) being the
limiting factor.

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:23:49AM -0400, John.Boland at reebok.com wrote:
> this does NOT mean there will only be 60,000 H1B's.  it means that ONLY an
> additional 60,000 will be allowed in vs. the current limit of 195,000
> additional

It means a limit of 60k new visas per year as opposed to the 195k
a year that it used to be.

> .
> those already here will be allowed to stay here.
>
> <commentary>
> still, it is a victory.  that means 135,000 fewer people won't get lose
> their jobs or not get hired because they want to live a first world
> country, permanently.
> </commentary>

I don't know how it works at other companies, but those who do
not get hired where I work generally aren't hired because they don't
know as much as the other candidates or because the person who
interviewed them just plain disliked them.  At least that's how it
sounds when the development leads talk about it afterwords.  I don't
recall them ever talking about whether someone wanted to live in a
first world country or not.  Mind you, I don't pay much attention
to those conversations.

--
Mike Small  (H1B who's been permitted to stay)
smallm at panix.com