Cross-compiling for ARM

I'm working on a project with a few people, and we want to fool around with
cross-compiling on Linux x86 (Red Hat 7.3 in my case) for the ARM
architecture.  I'm supposed to be looking into the toolchain and HOWTO's.
The problem is, I see a lot of conflicting/ambiguous/irrelevant
documentation, and it's bumming me out.  A lot of it seems to be for the
ecos RTOS, or relies on the commercial GnuPRO tools.

I found one FAQ that looked great:
http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/
But then I start finding lines like 4.1.1 that say "The author has more
familiarity with Newlib than Glibc so Newlib will be used in all examples
below.".  It definitely came off more of a "I did it and this worked for
me" than "This is the canonical way to do it, and here are one or two
variants".

The best advice I found was here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2001-01/msg00076.html
In it, Kai Ruottu <kai dot ruottu at luukku dot com> says that he found
pretty much what I did, and goes on to say that it's OK to look at all
these FAQs out there, but you need to study the GCC documentation on how to
do it first, so you understand the details and such.

That sounds like a great idea, but I don't know if I'm too frustrated or too
stupid, but I can't seem to find any documentation on the gnu.org site.  If
anyone knows where to look on that site, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Part of me wants to follow the directions around for cross-compiling for my
Sharp Zaurus, but I'm not sure how much of that would be applicable to
other embedded ARM applications.

So I'm open to pointers, suggestions, and as always, ridicule.  Thanks in
advance for any of these.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Live long and prosper.   - Vulcan proverb
DK KD  And eat well.            - Jewish addendum to Vulcan proverb
DDDD   Feast on your enemies!   - Klingon interpertation of Jewish addendum