linksys wusb11 ver 2.6

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 235u at comcast.net wrote:

> [root at playPen1 root]# cd /opt/atmelwlandriver
> [root at playPen1 atmelwlandriver]# make config

^-- this package didn't require you to start with a `./configure`, or
`./configure --opts` command? I'm assuming you read the README and did as
it instructed here, but I just want to check...

> [... several `make config` lines omitted ...]
> Finished. Now run make clean, all, install
> [root at playPen1 atmelwlandriver]# make all

^-- hang on, you were asked to do a `make clean` before `make all`. Did
you try doing that? Did it help? If you didn't, but you try adding that
step, do the results change at all?

> [... several `make all` lines omitted ...]
> make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/atmelwlandriver/src/usb'
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe         -
> I/include -I/opt/atmelwlandriver/src/includes -
> I/opt/atmelwlandriver/src/includes/usb -Wall  -DRFMD -DUSBDBG   -c -o
> callbacks.o callbacks.c
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:23,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:17,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:9,
>                  from /opt/atmelwlandriver/src/includes/usb/vnetusba.h:24,
>                  from callbacks.c:22:
> /usr/include/linux/string.h:8:2: warning: #warning Using kernel header in
> userland!

...and from here on you start getting these userland errors, among others.
It looks to me like little if annything managed to finish compiling
cleanly.

> [... many, many `make all` lines, mostly error reports, omitted ...]
> make[3]: *** [callbacks.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/atmelwlandriver/src/usb'
> make[2]: *** [rfmdD] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/atmelwlandriver/src/usb'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/atmelwlandriver/src/usb'
> make: *** [all] Error 1
> [root at playPen1 atmelwlandriver]# make install

Hang on, this definitely shouldn't work. In the typical

    ./configure
    make
    make all
    make install

quartet (or variations of it, such as here), generally each step has to
finish cleanly before you can move on to the next one. In this case, your
`make all` failed, which guarantees that `make install` won't work, and
doing that last step after a failed compilation just might make a very big
mess if it clobbers previously stable files.

As an aside, this is part of why it's considered best to do the first
steps of a compilation as a non-priviliged user, and only use root for
`make install` if & only if the other steps went well. If your system has
sudo, that would mean

    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ make all
    $ sudo make install

and if you don't have sudo, then maybe this instead:

    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ make all
    $ su -
    # make install

If you're building software with root authority, and bad things happen,
the damage can be much worse than if you're building the software with a
non-priviliged account.

But anyway, the main omission I see is the apparent lack of a `make clean`
step. Running that when asked to do so might resolve this problem -- or at
least, it certainly can't hurt to go back & add it.

It's a little hard to comment on what other changes to try without that
happening first. It could be the case that many things change after you do
that (old errors may go away, new ones may come up), so it seems best to
try that, then report back to the list if things go wrong again.

Good luck! :)

Chris Devers      cdevers at pobox.com

np: 'Little Palaces'
     by Elvis Costello (The Costello Show)