Redhat on Dell5150

Duane Morin wrote:

> My new machine is here!  Woohoo.  Quick question, Redhat only recognized a
> generic VESA video driver (32Meg) and unprobed monitor.  As such, it's
> only offering me 800x600.  That seems low/wrong?  Can't I get 1024x768 out
> of this thing?  When I fired it up with WinXP at first it was certainly
> running higher than 800x600 :(.
>
> Duane

 You should be able to do better. According to Google, what you've got in there
is an ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility with 64 meg. It needs XFree86 4.3, which you should
already have if you're using Red Hat 9. I found this specific advice on X configuration
at http://www.lexip.ch/files/inspiron5150.html#2 :

"for the internal touchpad the protocol ps/2, and not the imps2, and /dev/psaux as for device
for graphics adapter choose radeon 9000, 64MB, 1600x1200, hsync 43-85, vsync 40-60
for keyboard select the dell101 keyboard layout, which fits the keyboard on the notebook "

 This is advice for someone running xf86config. Red Hat has replaced xf86config with
redhat-config-xfree86, but you should be able to make it work with the above information.

 Another link that might be useful is ATI's Linux Driver Download and Installation page at
http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html . I think the ATI drivers are
performance-enhanced over the drivers that come with Red Hat, but this is outside my domain.
I can ask my son if you're interested - sort of thing he would know.

John