Emacs LISP & macros

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:21:28AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > Emacs keeps telling me that query-replace-regexp can be executed with
> > C-M-%, but no combination of Escape, Shift, Alt, Control, and the "%"
> > key invokes it.

[SNIP]

> > I've mapped it to another key, but would like to know why it doesn't
> > work as advertised.

I've run into this problem before myself, and I'd like to know why it
doesn't work too...

> I use EMACS all the time. C-M means meta. Simply hit the escape key and
> release it. You should see ESC - in the minibuffer. Then type % and you
> will see Query replace: in the mini buffer along with the curser.

IIRC, "Query replace:" is the prompt for emacs's query-replace
function, NOT query-replace-regexp, which is NOT the same.  The former
will query/replace an exact string, while the latter will
query/replace a regular expression.  I also disagree that C-M means
meta, as only M (as in M-x) should refer to meta.  I suspect that the
C-M key binding is one that just doesn't make sense on PC keyboards,
but I don't know that for a fact.

If you don't have query-replace-regex mapped to another key sequence
that will work for you, you can execute it with emacs's
"execute-extened-command" function, usually bound to M-x by default:

  M-x query-replace-regexp

This will indeed respond with the prompt "Query replace regexp:"

HTH.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/