Emacs LISP & macros

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Feldman" <gaf at blu.org>

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:15:27 +0900
> Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
>
> > IIRC, "Query replace:" is the prompt for emacs's query-replace
> > function, NOT query-replace-regexp, which is NOT the same.  The
former
> > will query/replace an exact string, while the latter will
> > query/replace a regular expression.  I also disagree that C-M
means
> > meta, as only M (as in M-x) should refer to meta.  I suspect that
the
> > C-M key binding is one that just doesn't make sense on PC
keyboards,
> > but I don't know that for a fact.
> >
> > If you don't have query-replace-regex mapped to another key
sequence
> > that will work for you, you can execute it with emacs's
> > "execute-extened-command" function, usually bound to M-x by
default:

> >   M-x query-replace-regexp
> >
> > This will indeed respond with the prompt "Query replace regexp:"
> I think that Bill had his sequence wrong. He said C-M-% was the key
> binding for query-replace-regexp. However M-C-% is the correct
default
> keybinding for query-replace-regexp. Which means:
> tap the meta (ESC) key, brings up "ESC -" in the minibuffer.
> Then type "Ctrl-Shift-%". "Query replace regexp:" will now be
displayed
> in the minibuffer. (This is assuming out of the box GNU Emacs
> keybindings).
> - --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>

This is looking more and more like a Redhat issue: others have
verified it on Redhat systems, but Suse is apparently OK.

I've tried ESC, CNTL-SHIFT-%, with all combinations of the left and
right shift and control keys, without any success. I've tried
CNTL-ALT-SHIFT-%, again with all combinations, again without success.
The C-M-% key binding for
query-replace-regexp was made 'official' in 1998, so it's certainly
standard.

ESC,x query-replace-regexp does work, so the function is in place. I
can map it to another key, and that combination works fine.

QIYF, sometimes, but I'll need to defer to the LISP/Emacs experts:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22C-M-%25%22+%22query-replace-regexp%22&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=199511222052.VAA11749%40odin.funcom.com&rnum=2

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=2863653718ae0dd2&rnum=9

HTH.

Bill