Emacs LISP & macros

"Bill Horne" <bill at horne.net> writes:
> This is looking more and more like a Redhat issue: others have
> verified it on Redhat systems, but Suse is apparently OK.
>
> I've tried ESC, CNTL-SHIFT-%, with all combinations of the left and
> right shift and control keys, without any success. I've tried
> CNTL-ALT-SHIFT-%, again with all combinations, again without success.
> The C-M-% key binding for
> query-replace-regexp was made 'official' in 1998, so it's certainly
> standard.
>
> ESC,x query-replace-regexp does work, so the function is in place. I
> can map it to another key, and that combination works fine.

Someone who has the problem should do "C-h k", then hit the key sequence in
question.  Either you'll find that the something really odd has happened,
and the key has been converted to something else, or you'll find that
nothing at all is getting to Emacs.  I suspect the latter... I bet the
window manager is stealing the sequence.  You might be able to hit it by
using the "Esc" key method of hitting meta (most people use "Alt" as a
modifier to make a meta character, but the old fashioned way of doing it,
which someone already mentioned, is to hit and release "Esc" before hitting
the key you want "metafied".)

  jj