Distro comparison

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, David Kramer wrote:

> On Monday 20 October 2003 15:57, josephc at etards.net wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, David Kramer wrote:
> > > As I've said, I need to upgrade my server's software.  I'm just done
> > > with Red Hat.  I've been using Red Hat on my server since version 4.0,
> > > but they finally pushed me over the edge.  My decision is a tough one,
> > > because my box is both my firewall/server and my workstation, so the
> > > mix of software is a little different than what most people need.
> >
> > Can I ask what exactly you dislike about Red Hat? The most common
> > complaint I hear is dependency issues, but up2date and apt4rpm have all
> > but eliminated that concern.
>
> - The mangling of KDE and Gnome to the point that the two companies are now
> on fighting terms.  I can no longer upgrade KDE on my Red Hat 7.3 box from
> either Red Hat or KDE, though there are third parties

True, but a GUI is seldom installed on a production server (atleast when
I'm doing the install).

> - Their refusal to put programs on their distro that MPAA/RIAA might maybe
> kinda sorta say is a bad thing one day

This is where apt4rpm comes in.

> - No more boxed sets

The instant ISO's that come with my RHN account have made this issue moot,
for me. I can grab all the CD's in less than an hour. :)

> - Their graphical tools to maintain your box are largely undocumented

Again, shun the GUI :)

Yes, there is a list at freebsd.org

> > > - How different is it to maintain than Linux?
> >
> > Not very. There is almost no SysV relation (which, despite claims to the
> > contrary, does have some influence on Linux).
>
> Meaning no /etc/rc.d stuff?  What other things are different?

Yeah, there is no rc.d (there are rc.* conf files, though). Items like SSH
and Sendmail are sort of built into the OS. So if a new version of SSH
comes out due to a security explot, you DON'T install that OpenSSH port
(you could, but you're going to get mad), you recompile the OS. It's not a
big deal, just not what you would expect at first.