linux serial to console port via agetty

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:54:18PM +0000, Bill Holt wrote:
> Sorry for the late feedback, I just got home,

First, please don't Bcc: the list.  Why not?  Because it breaks
mailers' ability to do a List-Reply, and may also screw up threading
for some mailers. Thanks!

> I have always used hyperterminal to login in to routers and
> switches, now my network is entirely of redhat/solaris and I would
> like to keep a console connection between any one of those
> (preferably a redhat) to configure my devices (without having to
> login via vertual terminal for security). I have agetty, and have
> made entry in /etc/inittab also tried messing with the kernel but
> for the life of me I can't get it working...  I feel ashamed,
> unclean every time I fall back to hyperterminal...

You MUST NOT run a getty on the serial port you wish to use to connect
to the remote device.  You can not run minicom on a port that already
has a getty running on it.  The getty program makes it possible for a
user to log into your machine on that serial port, which is not what
you want.  Then, you must make sure minicom is configured to use the
right serial port and communication parameters.  Then everything
should be fine.

> Can you help?

Hope I did!

--