postfix vs. sendmail

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:59:43PM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
> This isn't exactly a Linux question, but close enough.

I will point out that BLU stands for Boston Linux & Unix, not Boston
Linux Users...  Such questions are not off-topic at all.

> For the most part the conversion to Postfix seems to have gone
> smoothly, and the config seems to be *much* easier than Sendmail.
> However, two areas don't seem to be working under Postfix: mail
> aliases, and Procmail.

For postfix using aliases, look at the man page for postalias(8).  I
believe that will give you everything you need.  I don't remember how
to make postfix use procmail, but I do know I had it working.  :)  I
switched back to sendmail though, so all the details are fuzzy.

For those who are curious about why I switched back:

I have multiple domains, and under certain circumstances, I require my
MTA to re-write addresses on my mail.  When I switched to Postfix, it
would /always/ re-write all addresses with one particular domain,
whether or not it was required, which obviously was not desireable.  I
spent longer than I wanted to trying to figure out how to make it do
what I wanted, gave up, and switched back to sendmail, which does it
properly.  I've no doubt it can be done, but I decided it was not
worth my effort to figure out how.

I'm not asking for advice on how to make this work, and I've left out
some details which would be required to provide a correct solution,
mainly because I don't remember what those details are.  And I no
longer care...  Sendmail does the job, and I know it, so I'll happily
stick with it.

--
Derek D. Martin
ddm at sophic.org