apm

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, mike ledoux wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:53:29AM -0500, Dan Barrett wrote:
> > Folks,
> > Can someone set me straight here -- I've been trying to get APM to work on my
> > Thinkpad R40e.  If I build APM support as a module, apmd complains that "APM
> > support not compiled into kernel," even if I modprobe it first.  If I build
> > APM into the kernel, nothing happens when I start apmd.
> > So which is it -- module or built-in?
>
> I'm not up to date on IBM's model naming, but if that is a
> relatively recent machine (last year or two) it probably needs ACPI,
> not APM.  You might want to check linux-laptops.net to see if they
> have any information that'll help you.

Speaking of which, Dan do you currently have ACPI compiled into the
kernel?  You cannot use both ACPI and APM, and I think ACPI takes
precidence in both are compiled in.

If you specify noacpi on the kernel commandline, apm might start working.
Just watch out for the laptop requiring ACPI like Mike mentioned.

--
Greg