Evaluating Sourceforge projects to help on

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:38:00AM -0500, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With some time on my hands now (very strange situation....), I would
> like to help out on some open source projects to keep my skills somewhat
> current, etc.
>
> Question is, looking at Sourceforge, there are a bazillion (well close)
> projects looking for people. Fine, but how should I evaluate whether I
> want to help them? What criteria would be applied?
>
> Are there other venues, other than Sourceforge to look at?

Steve,

Work on something that "scratches a personal itch": if the thought of
working on a particular project makes you smile, then that's the one
to choose.

I recommend you drop by the Open Software Foundation and offer to
help there: RMS and crew are always looking for volunteers. You'll
get a great introduction to the open source world.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill