A distribution bytes the dust!

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 06:58, Johannes Ullrich wrote:
> Otherwise, I guess there is still SuSe. So what are
> the 'major' distributions left?
>
> Suse, Mandrake, Debian?

I'm looking for a little education here.  It may come across as flame
bait, I ask folks not to mistake my ignorance as such.  8)

I hear a lot of folks (particularly on this list) who are enamored with
Suse.  However, to me it seems kind of like a pain.  Here are the things
that I "think" I know about it that turn me off from trying it.  If any
are wrong or could even just be looked at from a different viewpoint,
I'd love to hear about it.

1) You can't get the latest version for free.  If you want the latest
greatest version, you must pay for it?

2) Updates are not free.  Admittedly, Red Hat doesn't do updates for
free either, but at least there is either apt for rpm, or you could use
the red carpet tools.

3) Init scripts are BSD style rather than SysV.

4) Package management is lacking and the tool (yast, IIRC?) most used
for pm is a little cryptic.

If any or all of these are wrong, I'd love to hear about it.  Heck,
those who believe in Suse's superiority for other reasons are welcomed
to evangelize.

Thanks in advance.

--
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com