MIT network question: desktop linux, day three

Here:  http://web.mit.edu/is/topics/email/smtp.html

Apparently they've had a series of problems (as have other sites).
Emailed viruses, etc. and they got briefly blacklisted by AOL last month
so they're tightening things up.  They're also planning to strip
executables in attachments to their users.