Fixed, yet broken

Got my hands on glibc- blah blah .7 rpm, which supposedly fixed my
problem.

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5  allowed me to run rpm again (who knew?!)

So now I'm back in bidniz, can run gnome.  Huzzah.

Interesting side effetc -- when I go into System Update (Ximian), it
tells me that the only packages I have installed are glibc and
glic-common.  When I asked it to verify dependencies it added basesystem
and a couple of others.  But it's obviously lost track of everything on
my system.

Anybody got a good way to tell ximian to go through and look at
everything I already have?  Or is that info gone, ya think?

I tried telling it to install glibc-devel (which it lists under "available
packages") but when I did it gave me a good 50 dependencies and I didn't
want to get into too much modification if I dont have to.

Duane