noob Q: tripwire email

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:12:08AM -0500, eric wrote:

> hi, i'm playing with tripwire on my home machine and would like to have
> tripwire email me the .twr report that it's sending to
> /var/lib/tripwire/report.  instead of configuring sendmail, which i'm
> not using for anything right now, can i just alter twcfg.txt on lines
> MAILMETHOD             =SENDMAIL
> MAILPROGRAM            =/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t
> to get it to use mozilla mail?  i already have changed the policy file
> concerning what violations to notify me of.  thanks.  -the chronic

Umm. That would be a mistake.

Even on systems that don't use sendmail, there is a convention that
there is a sendmail executable which will accept a message and send it
to the local MTA (mail transport agent).

mozilla isn't an MTA, it's an MUA (mail user agent). While it is
conceivable that there is a command line option to send a mail message
through it, that's not what it's designed for.

If you don't like sendmail (and there are plenty of reasons not to like
sendmail) then install smail, postfix, exim or qmail.

-dsr-