Linux Install error

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 20:02, Kevin Zablonski wrote:
> I have just recently purchased an asus p4c800 deluxe motherboard with a
> 3.0 Ghz P4 processer w/ hyperthreading.  I have two maxtor Diamondmax plus
> 9 80Gig 7200 RPM 8Mb buffer hard drives.  Phew...anyways.  I have
> installed and ran XP with no problems, but whenever I try to install
> redhat, the installation freezes.  I have tried redhat 8.0, 9.0, and
> fedora core1 with the same result.  I have tried everything I can think of
> and searched google for days with no luck.  I originally tried to set up
> linux using the onboard RAID, but I have since taking this away and
> attempted a basic install to see if that worked.  It always seems to
> freeze right after the main install screen.  This is what the screen
> freezes on when installing fedora.  All other versions show similiar if
> not the same errors.  Like I said, I have spent days over this rather
> trivial task and would greatly appreciate it if someone could steer me in
> the right direction.  If you need anymore hardware information just let me
> know.  Thank You in advance for your help.

> hda: Maxtor 6Y080P0, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: Maxtor 6Y080P0, ATA DISK drive
> blk:  queue c03d9420, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> blk:  queue c03d9560, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> hdc: CDU5211, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRIVE SW-252F, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0xefe0--xefe7, 0xefae on irq 5
> ide0 at 0xefa0--xefa7, 0xefaa on irq 5
> hda: attached ide-disk driver.
>
> DEAD...............

Hi Kevin,

Just out of curiosity, how did you set the jumpers on the IDE disks?
Are they set to "Master" or "Slave" or are they using the "Cable Select"
setting?  The Linux IDE drivers have traditionally had problems with the
"Cable Select" settings so try to avoid them.

It may not be your problem, but its worth checking...

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com