Getting rid of dhcpcd on RH 7.2?

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:24:51AM -0500, Rich Braun wrote:
> Is it possible to make dhclient work on a network of Red Hat 7.2 boxes?
>
> Problem:  frequent power outages
> Symptom:  the RH 7.2 boxes stay offline after outage
> Analysis:  LAN has a single DHCP server which is slow to come up.

Suggestion: hie thee to Microcenter, where APC 750VA UPS units are about
$50 each. Attach one to each critical server.

> RH 9 comes up OK because it has dhclient, and most everything else on the LAN
> retries until the dhcp server comes online.  I've done a fair amount of
> googling and it seems there are a lot of complaints about RH 7.2's dhcpcd
> setup but no obvious solutions.  It would be more than a little bit of work to
> overhaul everything to a newer distro.

Get ifup to do a sleep 60 (insert appropriate value) before making a
DHCP query.

> Related question:  what are the pitfalls of setting up a second DHCP server on
> a LAN?  I don't think it's possible to set up a secondary to serve dynamic
> pool addresses but it should be possible to service known MAC addresses with
> 'static' IPs kept in dhcpd.conf.

You can have another DHCP handing out dynamic addresses as long as it's
using a different pool.

Server 1: hands out 10.10.0.0/24 dynamically
Server 2: hands out 10.10.1.0/24 dynamically

You may wish to construct your dhcpd.conf from two files, one being the
local piece and the other being a CVS-maintained general piece.

-dsr-

--
"Common sense always loses when fighting against the promise of dancing
 hamsters." -Valdis Kletnieks