TMDA spam armoring / Re: Please confirm your message

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 05:52:41PM -0400, Chris Devers wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 <<a TMDA bot>> wrote:
>
> > Your e-mail message with the subject of "Re: tech temp agencies?"
> > is being held because your address was not recognized.
> >
> > To release your message for delivery, please send an empty message
> > to the following address, or use your mailer's "Reply" feature.
> >

> Etc.
>

> Does anyone else think it's rude to leave this turned on for mailing list
> addresses?

Its very rude.  For all address, but especially for lists.

Quoting Rick Moen from an email posted on another list:

# the problems of C-R systems are inherent in their design and
# pretty much unfixable:  The worst of those is that, by running tmda
# (other than when run with its main functions disabled), you're sending
# _additional_ spam to people whose addresses were forged in incoming mail
# headers.  Ergo, unfortunately, you are making a bad problem worse.
#
# Upgrading to a newer tmda isn't going to fix that fundamental problem --
# and configuring tmda to not send challenges to mailing lists merely
# means you're spamming slightly fewer innocent bystanders.

> I'm just curious what the groupthink is on this here: do people really
> thing that TDMA is the One Way Forward, or can't we all just install a
> copy of SpamAssassin and not place a burden on neighbors?

I use bogofilter for the same affect. TMDA systems (or C-R systems)
contribute to the junk email problem rather than helping to solve it.

On many of the RedHat lists we automatically submit people who use C-R
systems to be unsubscribed.

> (Okay, so I'm biased, but I'm trying to be open minded :)

Special Jeopardy quote feature :-)

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz at kinz.org" is copyright 2003.