Redhat 7.x and 8.x sunset

discuss-request at blu.org wrote:

>>I'm in the same situation.  I'm thinking that maybe I should upgrade to
>>RedHat 9 until a better distro materializes.  Any reason not to continue
>>using RedHat and just update the kernel and other software as
>>necessary?
>>

>Uhmm, because after April, there won't even be security updates to Red Hat
>9?  No updates from Red Hat.  No matter what.
>
>That's why everyone's so up in arms.

And those security updates wouldn't be fixed by the updated kernel *and*
other software?  I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of panic but I
don't see the urgency to switch right away.  Maybe if you upgrade via
RPMs only or have a large cluster of systems, it takes on a greater
urgency but I was referring to updates from compiling/installing latest
source code for a few systems.  But then again, I use Linux for servers
and not for desktops so perhaps maintaining such systems with source
code is not feasible.

Anyways, I don't see a clear choice for a distro.  Jerry is recommending
SuSE but you said that you had major problems with it even with a fresh
9.0 install. Have things gotten any better since you last wrote about
it?  It was also mentioned that Fedora Core isn't quite ready but I'd
like to know more details.  If Fedora will be "ready" in 6-9 months,
perhaps hanging on to RedHat 9 w/manual source code updates is an option.