Problems loading custom-compiled kernel via Grub

Gregory Boyce wrote:
> If you get the same error while specifying root=/dev/sda1, then perhaps
> the kernel does not have the ability to read your root file system for
> some reason.

That might be the case.  In any event, I decided to start over.  This is all
in VMWare images right now, so that's easier than it could be.

> Is SCSI support compiled into the kernel, or is it a loadable module?
> What about support for the filesystem type? (ext3?)

As I'll rebuild this test kernel today, I can ensure that I enable both as
part of the kernel.

> Using them as modules can work, but only if the initrd loads those
> modules.  If you made it using Redhat's mkinitrd, I believe you need to
> specify which modules should be autoloaded.

> On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 18:49, Don Levey wrote:
>> I actually tried something similar - root=/dev/sda1
>> which is my / partition (no separate /boot).
>> I got a similar error, this time referencing /dev/sda1 instead of
LABEL=/.
>> I may be able to try Dan Barrett's suggestion about the stripped-down
config
>> file.
>>  -Don

I also redid my wife's kernel last night, to take advantage of support for
the onboard NIC (Broadcomm 4400), better support for the sound card (Intel
i810), and ACPI support.  She's on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop.  It went
well, mostly.  I'm having difficulties with USB support, the NIC module
doesn't get built  (though it's specified in the .config and I don't get an
error), and the consoleis a small screen even though I've got vga=773 in the
grub.conf.  X is fine, and full screen.  But I did get the wireless card to
work via the DriverLoader at linuxant.com, so we're getting somewhere.  I'll
be trying the new kernel build at work today.

Thanks again,
 -Don