Questions about your web hosting plans (fwd)

Revisiting an somewhat recent topic I brought to this group a few months
back...

I want to relinquish myself from maintaining a mail server at home, and
pair.com seems to have great prices and a good reputation, but cannot
provide me with a secure connection to transfer my local IMAP email to a
potential account I would create with them.   My goal was to use a local
email client like Eudora, Netscape Messenger, Outlook Express, etc.

If pair.com can't do it, what other low-cost, reliable hosting provider
DOES offer secure IMAP connectivity (SSL or cram-md5 or something) that is
not strictly web-based?

Or, is there a tool I can use to perform the transfer in a secure fashion?

I really don't want to expose my password to the public for any length of
time, and I am not a programmer, so I do not know how to write any code to
perform this. :-(

Thanks.

Scott