2.6.1 minus sound

I've got a vanilla 2.6.1 kernel running Debian sid, plus KDE from CVS. My
sound doesn't work. I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and I have ALSA
support, OSS compatibility, and CS46XX compiled into the kernel. I set my
volumes to the same levels they were at when I used 2.4.22.

killall artsd && cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp doesn't produce any sound, nor
does anything using aRts.

The card exists in /proc/asound as the only card, but I don't know enough
about /proc/asound in general to diagnose much in there. So I've tarred and
gzipped the directory it and put it up on Apache - anyone who knows enough is
welcome to snoop around at http://files.greenfs.mine.nu/asound.tar.gz . It
won't be super fast, but luckily the archive is only 954 bytes.

I'd really like to have some sound, and I don't really want to go back to
2.4.x because my USB key hardlocks the system under it, and it works fine
under 2.6.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Zack