linux answering machine

Hello,
I'm trying to set up a linux based answering machine and eventually send myself fax via email and voice messages via email.

I have a zyxel 1496e external voice/fax/modem
I've been to alpha.greenie.net/vgetty
I've been to http://www.vocpsystem.com/ (i have bigger plans with this...)

So far I've gotten my modem to speak gibberish at me

Anybody have any experience with this?