cdrecord

On Feb 1, 2004, at 2:19 AM, Derek Martin wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:34:18PM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>> These apps can be used without KDE or GNOME running.
>
> While true, this statement is a little misleading.  For example, KDE
> apps can be run withouth running a full KDE session, but there are
> underlying services which are required for most KDE apps to run.
> These will be loaded automatically when you start a KDE app.
>
> Also, obviously you must install MBs and MBs of programs and support
> libraries.
>
> I remember Paul Swanson (who is a programmer that probably no one but
> me will know) saying that the GEM operating system for the Atari ST
> was ridiculous, because it was 1MB.  He must be going insane these
> days...  ;-)

We used to run GEM on 386s, back in the days of Windows 1.0-> Windows
386. Ventura Publisher (pre-PageMaker layout software) used GEM instead
of Windows at first. Eventually it made the transition. Also, AOL 1.0
for DOS ran on what I think was a renamed GEM enviroment, not Windows.

--
Joshua Pollak
Software Engineer