IMAP problems with SuSE 9.0

I remember that Dave Kramer talked about this a while ago, and some people
came in with suggestions... what turned out to be the answer to get IMAP
to work properly? (Basically, the problem is that the imapd distributed
with 9.0 only accepts SSL connections, and the squirrelmail that comes
with 9.0 doesn't support SSL, so the two don't play together. In addition,
I haven't been able to get the SSL to play with Mozilla at all.)