Intel m/b Legacy Keyboard and Mouse?

I have a relatively new Intel P3 single processor m/b, 128 Meg PC100 RAM,
and a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

When I boot, the BIOS screen quickly sees my IDE hard drive and CD, pauses
for a few seconds, then says Detected Legacy Keyboard, then Detected
Lagacy Mouse, pauses a few more seconds, then continues to boot.

What does "Legacy" actually mean?   I borrowed a Mac USB mouse and
keyboard from work, unplugged the PS/2 keyboard and mouse from the PC,
plugged in the USB ones, and still got the same BIOS messages and pausing.

What might also be causing the pauses?  The BIOS is fully up-to-date and
been refreshed (including a weekend without the lithium battery), all
connectors have been reseated, etc.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Scott