Banning IPs from Apache?

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 06:46, Duane Morin wrote:
> Recently I'm experiencing nasty load problems on my home web server for
> reasons I have yet to determine.  But I do see that my access logs are
> full of the usual worm traffic.  Can somebody point me in the right
> direction (or just give me the quick tutorial) on whether I can tell
> Linux or Apache ASAP "here's a bunch of IPs that I dont want you to
> respond to at all?"  What's the optimal way of making sure that these
> hits don't kill your server (or even interfere with its usual operation)?

I don't know about apache, but this sounds like it would be pretty easy
to do by chaining/tabling out ranges of ip's.

man iptables

But I believe the command would be something like:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -s <offending ip/netmask> -j DROP

--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
 lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com