the linux networking utilities hate me

Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Except that when I try to use my laptop to run Emacs over an X
> connection to one of my other computers, the window refreshes
> at an agonizingly slow rate.  I didn't have this problem when
> I was using the AirPort; I don't know if this access point has
> more latency, or the other machine's system load is dragging
> down X, or what.

The "other computers" are on the wired network, right?

Considering that you had routing issues before, just to be safe, I'd try doing
traceroute to each and verify the routing configuration. Do all (laptop on
wireless and other machines on wired) show same routing? All using 192.168.1.1
as gateway?

It strikes me that because it worked with the old base station, perhaps it was
doing routing/NAT from the wireless to wired networks. Could it be that your
X/NIS/NFS configurations (wired and wireless boxen) need to be updated
accordingly?

- Bob