Verizon DSL vs Comcast Cable

I second Don's opinions. I switched from Speakeasy to RCN because it
was cheaper, we got cable (my room watches more TV than is healthy),
and it was much faster.  I had Speakeasy because I ran a server, but I
finally decided paying Dreamhost for hosting was a better way to go.
RCN was a bit flakey (5-10 minute outages, every few days) when we
first signed up, but I haven't noticed any network outages in 6 months.
Overall I'm pretty satisfied with them.

My network has a Linksys router backing Windows, Linux, and Mac boxes.
No problems.